In Australia, criminal charges are divided into two main categories based on their severity: summary offences and indictable offences. Each jurisdiction in Australia (i.e., each state and territory) has its own criminal legislation, but the following provides a general overview of these categories:
Summary Offences (or Simple Offences):
– These are less serious offences.
– Typically heard in the Magistrates’ Court (or equivalent) without a jury.
– Examples might include minor traffic offences, public nuisance, and some minor assault cases.
– These are more serious offences.
– Usually heard in the higher courts, such as the District or County Courts or the Supreme Court, depending on the jurisdiction.
– They can be heard by a judge alone or with a jury, depending on the circumstances and the choice of the accused in some jurisdictions.
– Examples include murder, sexual assault, serious fraud, and major drug offences.
Some offences, known as “either way” or “hybrid” offences, can be treated as either summary or indictable depending on the circumstances, the severity of the particular incident, and the choice of the prosecution.
Furthermore, within the category of indictable offences, there are different levels of seriousness. For instance:
Major Indictable Offences: These are the most serious crimes, like murder or serious drug trafficking. They usually carry the heaviest penalties and are heard in the higher courts.
Minor Indictable Offences: These are still serious but less so than major indictable offences. Examples might include some forms of theft or assault. Depending on the jurisdiction, they can sometimes be dealt with in the Magistrates’ Court.
It’s also worth noting that each state and territory in Australia has its own criminal code or set of criminal statutes, so the definitions, categorizations, and penalties for specific offences can vary. Federal offences, which are crimes against national laws, can be prosecuted anywhere in Australia.
Submit your review here:
Reviews submitted by clients based on their experience:
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.